10 Mar, 2023
- United Nations Church Center
- 2nd Floor New York, NY 10017
We invite you to join WLP and our partners at our events hosted in parallel to the United Nation's 67th Commission on the Status of Women on women's leadership, supporting gender equality in Afghanistan and Iran, and harnessing technology to advance women's rights. This year you can attend WLP’s CSW67 parallel event both in-person and online via livestream.
Resistance and Rights: Supporting Calls for Freedom and Equality in Afghanistan and Iran
Friday, March 10, 2023 | 4:30 PM ET | Parallel Event Hosted by Women's Learning Partnership
WATCH THE EVENT RECORDING HERE
Date: Friday, March 10
Time: 4:30 PM EST
Location UN: Church Center, 2nd Floor 777 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017
Description: The calls for women’s human rights in Iran and Afghanistan require coordinated action by the international community. WLP will bring together Iranian and Afghan women leaders to share ways to assist movements for women’s rights inside and outside the countries. Panelists will discuss how the international community can amplify messages from within the communities, contribute to the resilience and power of women’s movements in Afghanistan and Iran, and use technology to build the capacity of women leaders in closed societies. The event will conclude with a reading of Persian poetry, as a part of WLP’s Lifelines: The Poetry of Human Rights series.
- Nadereh Chamlou | Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council, Former Senior Advisor at the World Bank
- Mahnaz Afkhami | Former Minister for Women's Affairs in Iran, Founder and President of Women's Learning Partnership
- Habiba Sarabi | Former Minister of Women's Affairs in Afghanistan, Former Governor of Bamyan Province
- Zala Ahmed | Executive Director of Humanitarian organization for Local Development (HOLD)
- Fatemeh Shams | Poet and Assistant Professor of Persian Literature at the University of Pennsylvania