07 Nov, 2016
- United Nations Conference
- COP 22 Marrakech, Morocco
WLP and the Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO) will co-host a panel discussion at the 2016 United Nations conference on climate change (COP22) in Marrakech, Morocco. The event marks WLP’s first presence in global dialogue and activism on gender and climate change.
COP22 will bring together international political leaders and activists from November 7 to 18, 2016, to discuss plans to combat climate change, and to reflect on the progress of previous landmark agreements (1997 Kyoto Protocol, 2015 Paris Agreement) to prevent the rise of global temperatures.
WLP’s event examines aspects of women’s roles in climate change advocacy, including:
- the role of legal reform in furthering women’s empowerment
- the importance of gender perspective in disaster risk reduction related to climate change
- the role of rural women as actors and drivers for reversing negative impacts of climate change
- need for international collaboration on advocacy for gender equality and against climate change
WLP will also present an exhibition booth for the duration of COP22 with partner organizations Morocco/Association Démocratique des Femmes du Maroc (ADFM) and Senegal/Groupe d’Initiatives Pour le Progrès Social (GIPS/WAR).